Welcome

"The fool doth think he is wise,
but the wise man knows himself to be a fool".

Hi, my name is Emmie... and I'm a Bookaholic

Monday, May 15, 2006
I've come to the conclusion that I should not - cannot - enter a bookstore any longer. Because if I do, I'm bound to come out with a few more books for my bookshelf and much less cash than I had when I entered.

I love books.

I'm addicted to books.

I cannot stop buying books.

The ironic thing is that at the moment I have no time to actually read books. I have a whole bookcase now filled with books I've not read yet. And still I keep buying them. I can't help myself. I just have to.

I recently acquired a gorgeous copy of The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I had to. How could I not? It had gilded edges on the pages...

I do read. Whenever I can. It's just not very often. In fact, I read Eloisa James' Taming of the Duke (finally) this weekend. In one sitting. Unfortunately that sitting was from 1am to 6am (so I'm rather tired today!). I just wish I had more time to read. Eventually I will.. I hope. Maybe then I can catch up on all the unread books I have. (Last count it was more than 100... and I've bought more since.) If I can buy less books for a while maybe I could even catch up...

Does anyone else have anything that they buy too much of? (Not that I necessarily think I have too many books.. I do love them, afterall. I just wish I had time to read them as well.) Do you have a hard time resisting the allure of certain things? Clothes? Movies (I must admit to buying a fair few of those as well)? Anything?

Or am I the only 'addict' in the room?
12:02 am :: Emmie :: 6 Comments

6 Comments:

Hi my name is Haven and I'm also a book-aholic.

Some days I'm so glad most of my favorite authors only come out with one book a year...so I have time to buy all the other wonderful books.

Anyhow I'll be seeing you at the BA meetings hehe.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 am  

I actually suffer from the same condition you mention you're talking about here ladies.

I'm in the same boat, I buy books that I'm *desperate* to read but, have little or no time to devote to them. However, I get a sense of security to know that these coveted books are living under roof.

Isabel

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 am  

Well...I know I would be like my sister if I could afford it! I love buying books and movies! There are so many movies and books I want...and NEED desperately! ;)
And Em, you know I'm the worst candyholic! :)

Hannah (lil' sis)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:27 pm  

I place an order at amazon one day.. and I swear, one (max. 2) days later I start filling my shopping basket again. Sometimes within hours.. It's quite sad.

And yes, while working full-time means less time for writing, having a salary does at least allow me to have this addiction :)

Emily

By Blogger Emmie, at 12:35 am  

Hi,
My name is Ingrid and I´m a Bookoholic. I try to only buy one book a week. On Fridays I allow myself to buy one book, usually paperbacks. The problem is that at the store where I buy my paperback I get 4 books for the price of 3, so I usually buy more than one book. I love to read but of course I have lots of unread "Friday-books" that I will read in the future.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:32 pm  

I'm relieved to find that I'm not the only one with this 'affliction' :)

And besides, there are worse things that one could be addicted to, right? ;)

Emily

By Blogger Emmie, at 8:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home